1. FULL CIRCLE Dust off the wicker because the summer season of entertaining is upon us. Ideal for sandy-bottomed picnics or poolside parties, these bamboo dishes are shatter-proof, durable and can even go in the dishwasher. Best of all, they are also biodegradable and come in loads of eye-catching prints. www.xeniataler.com
2. GENIUS IN A BOTTLE Say goodbye to dishpan hands with Gloves in a Bottle. Free of all nasty ingredients, the hand-saving salve creates a breathable invisible shield that protects skin for 24 hours, which is especially important in these frequent hand-cleansing days. www.glovesinabottle.com
3. APPLIANCE ENVY
Add panache to the kitchen with appliances from SMEG
. A leader in good design, they feature everything from funky kettles and table-top worthy toasters to retro refrigerators and slim-line juicers. Intelligently designed and with enough colour choices to tease a rainbow, these appliances are top-shelf. www.bonvivant.ky
4. BORED GAME? Serve up a meaty conversation with Table Talk Placecards. A company whose aim is “helping people lead more resilient and fulfilled lives,” the 40 place cards with 80 questions are intriguing without being intrusive and sure to spark dishy discourse. www.schooloflife.com
5. BAR NONE Take a tropical taste-bud tour with Les Chocolateries Askanya, Haiti’s first premier bean-to-bar chocolate company. Offering five bars, with cacao ranging from 47 to 90%, the flavour profiles are as exquisite as the packaging. This woman-owned company uses Haitian cacao and workers to enrich locals’ lives. www.askanya.ht
6. SPARK UP Rather than contribute to the over 350 million disposable lighters tossed into landfills each year, set Mother Earth ablaze with a Soft-Touch USB Rechargeable Lighter. Powered by a lithium-ion battery and conveniently charged by a USB port, the brilliant device is available in nine colourways and four convenient styles sure to spark any pyro’s interest.
7. DISH WISH
Elevate your table game with lively hand-crafted ceramics from Turkey. Available as bowls, platters, plates and more, each dish is a piece of art. The colourful table-top creations also make for unique gifts. www.rugsoriental.ky
- Wrap up banana stems to slow down the ripening process.
- Impromptu guest? The fastest way to chill a bottle is to wrap it in a damp kitchen towel and pop it in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Need room temperature eggs ASAP? Plop them in a bowl of warm water for 5-10 minutes.